Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Joy Of First Communion

My son just turned eight in March. He has gone to Catholic school for one year and he loves God. He is also shy, but he loves God. For the past few years, he has walked through the Lord's Supper with us and watched us take communion. He always wondered why he was not allowed to take it. When he was very young, he thought the Lord's Supper was food and could not understand why we ate and he did not.

The Lord's Supper is actually a type of food, but not the type of food my son was thinking about. Communion feeds us in our Christian lives and feeds our souls. Communion connects us with Jesus in a very special way. My son learned about communion in school and Sunday was his day to take communion for the first time. I will have pictures in a couple of later posts that show my son at his First Communion.

We went to practice Tuesday night. The walk through was really cute. It was very rewarding watching the young children and my son prepare for this very special moment of their lives. Saturday was the moment for my son's First Communion. The service was 11:30 AM until 1 PM. My son and all of his friends were dressed up and ready to partake in their first Lord's Supper. My son was excited and he was ready. It was a beautiful moment in our lives and I almost cried. Father Bill smiled at me as I walked behind my son and watched him take his First Communion.

It was funny to watch my son at moments. He complained about his feet hurting, the tie hurting and the clothes were uncomfortable. When that moment came for him to take the Lord's Supper, he forget about all of the annoyances of dressing up. It was a beautiful moment that I will remember for the rest of my life. My five year old daughter commented today about how she cannot wait until her First Communion. God Bless little children, their innocence and the excitement that comes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment