Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fear of The Dark

I remember when I was a little boy, I counted every step I took. I had this funny idea that I would eventually run out of steps. I thought if I walked or ran too much I would die quicker. I continued to count my steps as a young man and eventually realized I would not die if I took too many steps.

Children think differently than their parents. My son is afraid of the dark. He is afraid to be in a room by himself. On the other hand, my daughter is not afraid of the dark and she loves spending time alone. We cannot yell at our children if they are afraid. Our job is to hug them, love them and help them grow through their insecurities.

I am no longer afraid of walking or running too much. I know my son will eventually lose his fear of the dark and the other fears he deals with as a seven year old boy. He just needs his dad to be there, teach him and love him. I am here and am enjoying watching all of my children as they grow up....

No comments:

Post a Comment