Thursday, December 19, 2013

Four Food Myths To Think About

ONE IS SIX AMERICANS SUFFER FROM FOOD POISONING EACH YEAR (THAT'S 48 MILLION PEOPLE) RESULTING IN THOUSANDS OF HOSPITALIZATIONS AND DEATHS. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT FOOD SAFETY.



Food Myths: MYTH #1:  “If I microwave food, the microwaves kill the bacteria, so the food is safe.”

Fact: Harmful bacteria may remain if food is heated unevenly. Be sure to follow cooking instructions, including rotating, stirring and letting food stand when indicated. It is always better to be safe than sorry


Food Myths: MYTH #2:  “Of course I wash all bagged lettuce and greens because it might make me sick if I don’t.”

Fact:If packages are labeled ready to eat, washed or triple washed, they are actually safe and ready to eat. You do not have to wash them.

Food Myths: MYTH #3:  “I don’t need to use a food thermometer.  I can tell when my food is cooked by looking at it or checking the temperature with my finger.”

Fact: The only way to know food is safely cooked is to used a food thermometer.

Food Myths: MYTH #4:  “I can’t re-freeze foods after I have thawed them – I have to cook them or    throw them away.”

Fact: RAW FOODS MAY BE SAFELY REFROZEN. If raw foods have been thawed in the refrigerator, they may be refrozen without cooking. Never refreeze raw foods that have been thawed out in the microwave or the refrigerator. Never thaw raw foods on the kitchen counter.

Don't become a statistic, make sure you follow food safety and keep you are your family safe from food poisoning.

Check out these websites for more information about food safety.

fightbac.org
www.foodsafety.gov/
http://elementassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Infographic-False-Food-Myths-blogsize.jpg



Make sure you take a few moments of your time to learn about food safety. Your life is busy, but your family is worth a moment of your valuable time...

No comments:

Post a Comment