Sunday, February 5, 2012

Unstained By The World

Sometimes the Bible keeps me up at night. God's word calls to me. Usually it isn't because I am a good Christian. Instead it happens when I realize I have stepped off on the wrong side of the straight and narrow path. Tonight, I right my 200th blog entry while I am supposed to be sleeping.

I was led to the book of James tonight. I spent the evening with friends watching the Super Bowl. You know the Giants won and Eli Manning won his second Super Bowl. He surpassed his older brother who was always supposed to be more talented than Eli. Eli has perseverance, he never quits.

I bet if Eli Manning or Tom Brady walked into your church, everybody would flock to them. They are superstars and everybody wants a piece of them. Yes, I would be one of the first people in my church to approach both men and probably try to get an autograph.

On the other hand, who among you would race to a homeless man or woman who walks into your church asking for a hand out? I often wonder what I would do. I hope I would go to the kitchen and make them something to eat. Or would I run away from them or ignore them because they are dirty and smelly?

Unstained by the world means we are living in this world, but we are not of this world. We are Christian people who are on a journey which leads to heaven. Our Father and our Savior are waiting there for us. They want us to travel down the straight and narrow road, but most of us swerve like we are drunk Christians.. We are drunk from what the world offers us. Sometimes we pursue our activities and we forget about God.

When this happens to me, I find myself back into the Bible because I cannot sleep. I am not a perfect man. Like some people say, God is not finished with me yet. There is a ton of work left to do in my life. James is the perfect book of the Bible to read if you swerve of the straight and narrow path. James is direct, he tells you what you need to do. There are only five chapters in James, but they will wake you up.

Now, I am ready to go to sleep. I feel like God has straightened me up again and has me ready to go on with my journey. Because of Christ, I am unstained by the world. Without Him, I am nothing. Like Paul, I am the worst of all sinners. Check out the book of James and let him reveal how we are really supposed to live as Christian people, yes even in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment