Monday, July 22, 2013

Watermelon Seed

My brother was always a go-getter. I remember one day when we went to the flea market. My nine year old brother convinces a man to let him help unload his truck filled with watermelons. My brother's pay would be a few bucks and a couple of watermelons. The men would throw the watermelons to each other and my brother was in the middle of the action. I was surprised how the little kid could actually catch a full sized watermelon. I believe the men were also surprised.


After he was finished, the man handed my brother a five dollar bill and a couple of watermelons. The men told my brother to make sure he did not swallow any watermelon seeds. If you do (they snickered) you will have watermelon vines growing all through your body. I carried one of the watermelons for my brother. Our parents were surprised, but had no problem sharing in the spoils.

We ate both of the watermelons by the end of the day. I made sure I did not swallow any watermelon seeds. Who really wants to have vines growing inside of their body? When I grew older, I finally realized those guys were kidding. One day, I swallowed a watermelon seed and the next day it came out in the toilet. Those guys had this little guy going for years. It is amazing what people will tell little kids just to trick them. That is also why it is important to be wary of strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment