This delicious copycat recipe and our favorite soup will keep you warm in the colder months. A classic at any dinner table, Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup has a cheesy robust flavor that will have you eating spoonful after spoonful. Make your favorite copycat recipes in the comfort of your own home and enjoy.
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter melted, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and saute the onion until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter and slowly add flour and continue stiring until flour turns a brownish color.
- Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux).
- Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and sauteed onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended.
- Stir in the nutmeg and serve.