French Toast with Rhubarb & Strawberry Fusion Compote
Prep: 15 mins | Total: 40 mins | Servings: 4
- 1 cup V8 V-Fusion® Light Pomegranate Blueberry Juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 stalk (about 18 inches long) rhubarb, trimmed and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups strawberries cut in quarters
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cholesterol-free egg substitute
- 1/4 cup non fat milk
- 8 slices Pepperidge Farm® 100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread With Raisins
- Stir 2 tablespoons juice and the cornstarch in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the rhubarb, strawberries, remaining juice, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, honey and brown sugar in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes or until the fruit is tender. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until the mixture is thickened. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Beat the egg substitute, milk and remaining cinnamon in a shallow baking dish. Add 4 bread slices to the egg mixture and turn to coat. Repeat with the remaining bread slices while the first 4 are cooking as directed below.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the 4 coated bread slices and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Repeat with the remaining coated bread slices. Serve with the fruit mixture.